Negativity turns what could be a beautiful, happy life into a real suckfest if you allow it.
We all know that person who finds a problem with every solution and finds it nearly impossible to say anything positive or uplifting. They’re not fun to be around. At all.
And we don’t want to turn into them either.
I can’t say it’s a shocker that so many people let negativity consume them. The world is full of drama and craziness and if you turn on the news for more than 20 seconds you’ll get a glimpse of it all right from the comfort of your own home. It’s a real buzzkill.
So how can you eliminate negativity from your life and ensure that you don’t turn into the guy moping around, making it his life’s mission to make you as miserable as he is? Is it even possible in a world that is so nuts?
Most definitely – you just have to change the way your frame certain things and you’ll be able to stop the patterns that have controlled how you think and feel up to this point.
These are just a few of my favorite tips to ensure that I don’t have to deal with the Negative B.S. in my own life.
1. Quit Taking Everything So Personally. You’ve heard the saying, “Not my circus, not my monkeys” right? I frequently try to say this about my own children…and then, eventually, I have to own up to the fact that they are, indeed, mine 😉 It’s so easy to let what other people say affect our mood and our mindset. We allow others to determine our self-worth and we end up with an extremely negative opinion about ourselves. Quit giving other people that power over you! The things that people say about you is not your business. In fact, it says way more about them than it does you.
2. Be yourself. Be magical. Be unique. Be you in the only ways that YOU can. Look back on your childhood. Remember what it felt like to be that free, not a care in the world. Who were you before world stepped in and told you otherwise? What did you enjoy doing? What dreams did you have? There is nothing more freeing than to be unapologetically yourself in every sense of the word. Conforming to what other people want us to be will only cause us to feel unattached to our true self. This leads to unhappiness and confusion about where we really fit in and our lives become a feeding ground for negativity.
3. Embrace the imperfections. Life will never be perfect, plain and simple. We get so caught up in comparing everyone else’s highlight reel on TV or social media to our own hot mess of a life and feel like we will never measure up. We begin to feel like we suck shit at life and everyone else is living the dream. Enter Negativity. The fact is, everyone has struggles and although it may look like a perfect life from the outside, looks can be very deceiving. Quit comparing yourself to everyone else and embrace the quirky imperfections that make up this journey you’re on. Even with all its imperfections, life can be beautiful and amazing.
4. Live with a grateful heart. Wake up every day simply being thankful for life. You get another day to make a difference. Another day to share your creative gifts with the world. It matters and you should be grateful for it. When you focus on the things you are grateful for, it’s so much easier to eliminate any negativity from entering your life. Keep a gratitude journal – any time you feel those pesky negative thoughts creep in, read aloud all the things that you are thankful for in your life.
5. Let Go. Let go of the past along with all of your mistakes and failures. We all have those cringe-worthy, not so proud moments in our lives. If you don’t let them go, they will easily eat away at your self-esteem, causing you to see yourself and life in a negative way. The important thing is to look at these little missteps as a lesson to be learned rather than the end all, be all. Failure is not the end of the line, but rather the beginning. Move forward with the mindset that with each step of the way, you are learning as you go.
I’ve eliminated so much negativity from my life by just getting clear on how I was allowing it to creep into my life.
Please feel free to comment below or shoot me an email if any of this resonates with you – I hope a few of these tips help you on your path to a more positive and happy lifestyle 🙂
Also, if you haven’t already signed up for my weekly dose of crazy chaos, I’d love to have you as part of my Hot Mess Crew – you’ll get updates on blog posts, youtube videos, and all the good stuff happening here at Blessed With a Hot Mess.
You can also find me on over on the Facebook page 🙂
Until next time,
Hugs and Good Vibes!
~ Kristin ✨
Eydie Stumpf says
I especially like #3 – We so often compare ourselves to others and when we do we end up feeling like a failure. We’re all perfect in our own ways – and even our imperfections can be quite endearing to others. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Eydie 🙂
Yes! This is one I’ve struggled with ALOT lol Thanks so much for your comment Eydie!
I think one of the best things I could do was quit taking everything so personal! That is such a good tip!
Thank you Tif! I appreciate your comment!
Great post! #s 1, 3 and 4 took a long time for me to learn but I’ve finally got the hang of it. The others – not so much – but I’m getting there. Also, love the fact that you are a coffee mug lover (saw that in your bio) – me too! 🙂
Thank you Elisa! I’m a work in progress on a few of these as well – sometimes it’s a struggle but I keep working at it. It’s a daily practice lol
That’s so awesome that you’re a fellow mug lover! I’m OBSESSED with them ~ My husband just looks at me like I’m crazy lol 🙂
Thanks for your comment!
Tammy Fuller says
Yes. So much good stuff here. I especially love practicing gratitude.
Thanks Tammy! Yes, it took me a little while to get into a daily routine of practicing gratitude but it’s so worth it once you get the hang of it 🙂
Nona Morris says
Good advice, but much of it is easier said than done. Takes practice.
Hi Nona! Yes you are totally right…it’s not going to be easy. I’m a work in progress and still stumble sometimes. It’s a daily choice you have to make and it takes work to get your mindset in the right place but once you do, it’s SO worth it 🙂 Thanks so much for your comment!
Snehal Joshi says
That is an amazing post! It was very bad for me some months before but now have removed most of it and I am at peace. 🙂 Love your display picture.
Thanks so much! We all have those moments in our lives where we struggle with negativity – I’m so glad you found your way through and are happy. That’s a beautiful thing! So appreciate your comment!