Ok girls, let’s face it : Sometimes we can be moody bitches and it ain’t a pretty sight.
There are days when you wake up and just feel off, am I right? Within 10 minutes you’ve already determined this is going to be a shit of a day.
I get it.
On days like this, we allow everything and everyone to get under our skin and we aren’t a real joy to encounter. (Say it ain’t so)
When it gets to the point where we become irritated with the way our husband chews his food or breathes, it’s a good idea to start looking inward and see what’s going on (yikes)
A majority of the time, we find that much of our crankiness stems from the fact that we try to be everything for everyone and we leave very little leftover for ourselves. In my experience as a wife and mom of a crazy crew, I can say 99.9% of the time, this is the case.
As a woman, we hold so many titles: Wife, mom, butt wiper, boo boo kisser, chef, nurse, maid, craft mom, room mom, people pleaser, over thinker, pushover, maker of time for everyone but yourself.
We have a real hard time listening to that inner voice that says, “Hey! Listen up ~ it’s been awhile and you haven’t done anything for “YOU” lately. The people at the liquor store know you on a first name basis and the kids have already picked out their future therapist. THE TIME IS NOW.”
You have to make yourself a priority.
Yes, you love your husband and your kids. Yes, you enjoy being a helper and healer and listener and friend….but lemme tell ya, spending 100% of your time and energy on others will take a serious toll on you if you forget yourself in the process. (Not to mention, your family does not/will not enjoy the cranky bitch you become because you fail to put yourself first once in awhile)
It’s no good. For anyone.
So, what’s a girl to do?
A) Tell your spouse to suck it up because he willingly married you and all of your imperfections including the grouch ass you can become. So there.
B) Allow your children to watch Flowers in the Attic or Mommy Dearest – then they will see what a really grouchy mom looks like.
C) Take responsibility by loving on your damn self and kick that moody bitch out.
Let’s just all agree that C is the best option, shall we? 🙂
First things first – You need a mindset shift. It’s important to know that you NEED and DESERVE to take a little me time and focus on YOU once in awhile. Quit thinking it’s selfish. Quit thinking everyone and everything is going to fall apart around you. I assure you it won’t happen.
It’s not going to matter that your household runs like a well oiled machine if the operator has a nervous breakdown, yes?
To help you out, I compiled a list of different ways you can focus on yourself – mind, body and soul – and give your inner bitch some love 🙂
- Buy yourself some flowers. I’m not a real flower girl myself but there is something to be said of these pretties brightening the mood and putting some color in your day.
- Throw on some tunes and have a dance party in your kitchen (if the kids are home, make them join in and show them your rockin’ moves)
- Take 30 minutes at day to read or listen to an audio book. This is a perfect end to your day instead of watching TV or surfing the net. I’m creating a list of my 2018 Must Reads – if you want some ideas, shoot me a comment below!
- Make yourself a healthy smoothie – there are tons of yummy recipes on Pinterest.
- Go outside! Enjoy nature and the beauty of the world around you. If it’s cold, just bundle up ~ there is nothing better than fresh air…even if it happens to be a little chilly.
- Take a long peaceful drive. Or blast the music. Whichever you prefer.
- Meditate – try the headspace app to get you started.
- Get a massage.
- Get a pedicure – your feet need some lovin’ too.
- Start an herb garden – growing something from scratch is kinda medicinal for the soul, ya know?
- Slap on a face mask – kinda makes ya feel all spa like – plus, you might scare the kids enough to where they leave you alone for awhile ~ bonus! 🙂
- Try a yoga class – if you’re uncomfortable taking a class, try it at home.
- Buy a new bra cuz…why not? When you feel sexy, you feel good – ya feel me?
- Listen to a podcast on a subject that interests you. I love the true crime and inspirational ones myself.
- Try a new recipe.
- Start a journal – writing and creativity is good for the soul.
- Create a vision board and hang it up on your wall or fridge where you can see it daily. (or you can do a digital one on Pinterest too)
- Say no. End of story.
- Write yourself a love note and include everything about you that is simply amazeballs.
- Pet a dog.
- Hug a human – preferably someone you know but hey, whatever makes you happy.
- Bake some cookies or buy some flowers for someone you know and deliver them in secret. Secret Santa stuff doesn’t just have to be reserved for the month of Christmas. Can I get an amen? #kindnessrulesanytime
- Start a budget and pay off a few nagging bills – loving on yourself includes taking care of your financial state.
- Set some new goals for yourself – focus on what you truly want for the future.
- Go to a park or other scenic place and take some pictures #photographyismyobsession
- Forgive someone that has done you wrong.
- Forgive yourself for past mistakes
- Take a road trip somewhere new – get lost and explore. Don’t forget pictures! 🙂
- Change up your atmosphere – paint a wall, buy a new throw pillow, hang some string lights, or new artwork. If you’re on a budget, just moving furniture around can make a world of difference.
- Call a friend that you haven’t talked to in a while and have lunch.
- Schedule a day (or at least a few hours) where you do nothing but binge watch a few of your favorite episodes on Netflix.
- Create a new workout routine.
- Create a meal plan for the coming week and stick in a few healthy recipes – feed your bod some fresh veggies 🙂
- Simplify and declutter areas of your house that need attention – donate or throw the shit away that you don’t want. (I can’t even describe how awesome it makes me feel to throw crap away – I’m a little obsessed)
- Bubble bath and a glass of wine – need I say more?
If none of these ideas inspire you, create one of your own – look back at times when you were super happy. What were you doing? What were you wearing? What was your atmosphere like? You gotta do this for you sister cause no one else will.
Moral of the story:
Quit making excuses and start making yourself a priority. Then tell that inner moody bitch to take her suckfest somewhere else 🙂 #shegotstogo
If you wanna receive some weekly good vibes mixed with the crazy chaos that only momlife can provide, be sure to sign up for my newsletter 🙂
I love connecting with other moms that are a hot mess, work in progress just like me ~ let’s see what else we have in common 🙂
“Loving yourself isn’t vanity, it’s sanity” – Andre Gide